Healthy Eating Ideas For The Footy Season
While it can be easy to take quick snack options before settling in to watch the game, we’re very wary about pigging out on the wrong foods. Try some of my healthier footy food recipes below.
BBQ Lemon Chicken Avocado Burger with Zest Yoghurt Mayo
Prep time: approx. 20-30 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
- 250g chicken breasts, skin off, butterflied
- 4 tbsp. lemon thyme, stems removed
- 2 tsp. lemon zest
- 1 large lemon, juice
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. fresh pepper, ground
Lemon yoghurt mayo
- 200g full fat natural yoghurt
- 1 tsp. lemon zest
- 1 tsp. lime zest
- 1 Roma tomato, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp. finely chopped basil
- 4 multigrain or wholemeal buns, cut in half down the middle, drizzled with olive oil and toasted on the BBQ for 20 seconds each side
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 1 cup of lettuce
- Preheat the BBQ to medium temperature.
- Place all of the chicken ingredients into large bowl and mix thoroughly, leave to marinate.
- In a small bowl mix all of the yoghurt mayo ingredients.
- Cook the chicken on the BBQ for 3-4 minutes each side.
- Assemble the burger on the bun with a spoonful of mayo, lettuce, avocado and chicken. Enjoy!
Prawn and Snow Pea Dumplings with Chili Avocado Dipping Sauce
Makes: 20-30 dumplings
Prep time: approx. 20 minutes
Cooking time: 20-30 minutes
- 250g fresh snow peas, finely chopped
- 250g of shelled and de-veined green prawns
- 2 tbsp. fresh ginger, grated
- 1 tbsp. light soy sauce
- 1 tbsp. rice vinegar
- 1 tsp. sesame oil
- 1 egg, beaten
- 20-30 wonton wrappers
Ingredients for dipping sauce
- 1 avocado, skin and seed removed
- ¼ cup of soy sauce
- 4 tbsp. of finely chopped coriander
- 1 small fresh chili
- 2 tsp. of honey
- In a food processor add the prawns, ginger, soy, vinegar, and sesame oil, and pulse till roughly mixed, transfer into a large bowl.
- Steam or blanche the snow peas until soft and add to the prawn mixture.
- Place 1 tsp. of the filling in the middle of each wonton wrapper and brush edges with a little water, fold over into a triangle, pressing edges together to form a dumpling. Place dumplings on a baking paper lined tray.
- Line a steamer with baking paper and place over a pan of boiling water. Add the dumplings into the steamer and steam for 5 minutes or until filling is cooked and wrappers tender.
- Mix all of the dipping sauce ingredients together and serve on a platter with the dipping sauce in the middle.
These are also great recipes for entertaining friends, so invite the neighbourhood around to watch the game! Do you have any footy food recipes to share? Please share them in the comments below.
Find more delicious and different winter warmer recipes at the Australian Avocados Recipe Finder.
Founder of Nutritional Edge, Zoe Bingley-Pullin, has long been passionate about the food in our lives. A nutritionist (Diploma of Nutrition, Sydney) and internationally trained chef (Le Cordon Bleu School, London), Zoe helps people embrace the benefits of food through education and understanding.